Smashed Chickpea and Charred Tomato Toast
A classic cafe breakfast reimagined for home cooking
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread toasted
- 400 g can chickpeas drained
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 teaspoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, harissa, 1 tablespoon of oil and parsley. Use a fork to smash the chickpeas to a rough paste then season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a cast iron skillet, heat the remaining olive oil on medium-high shiny add the tomatoes and cook tossing occasionally until charred and blistered on the exterior and skin just beginning to peel. Cool slightly before assembling.
To assemble, spread the chickpea mixture evenly over toasted sourdough then divide tomatoes among pieces and arrange on top.