A classic French stew of mushrooms and lentils, perfect for a home cook.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Medium brown onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup french green lentils soaked overnight
- 3 cups water
- 250 g Swiss brown mushrooms quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 5 basil leaves roughly torn
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp capers
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the onions and mushrooms then saute for 10 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
Stir in the herbs and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Cover with wine, deglaze the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove lid and season with salt and pepper, serve immediately.