You could go out to a café for your weekend brunch, or you could stay in and make your own with this easy recipe. Smashed Chickpeas on toast is a winning combination, a simple alternative to avocado toast, chickpeas are lower in fat and higher in protein. Added to the chickpeas are lemon, for freshness, and harissa to add a spicy zing. Atop the smashed chickpeas, in order to give the dish balance, we have tomatoes which are charred and blistered in olive oil to give contrast to the chickpeas.
Smashed Chickpea and Charred Tomato Toast
A classic cafe breakfast reimagined for home cooking
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread toasted
- 400 g can chickpeas drained
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 teaspoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, harissa, 1 tablespoon of oil and parsley. Use a fork to smash the chickpeas to a rough paste then season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the remaining olive oil on medium-high shiny add the tomatoes and cook tossing occasionally until charred and blistered on the exterior and skin just beginning to peel. Cool slightly before assembling.
- To assemble, spread the chickpea mixture evenly over toasted sourdough then divide tomatoes among pieces and arrange on top.
One thought on “Smashed Chickpea and Charred Tomato Toast”
Great post 😁