Tomato soup is a classic, especially when served with a grilled cheese. While Campbells is a classic, if you’re willing to put in the time and the effort you can make one that’s even better in your own kitchen. The secret to good tomato soup is adding a little bit of spice and balancing the acid of the tomatoes. Here I’ve used kimchi to add spice, it has a beautiful depth of flavour and adds a zing to the back-end of the soup and to balance the acid, we have potato and basil.
When it comes to tomatoes, there’s no need to seek out beautiful heirloom tomatoes they’d only be wasted here. Any old tomatoes will do but it’s the riper the better, those ones sitting in the bottom of your fridge for the last week would be perfect.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes whole
- 500 ripe cherry tomatoes whole
- 1 medium red capsicum roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium russet potato diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon kimchi
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 210°C. Place the tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, capsicum and garlic into a large roasting pan. Pour over 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast in prepared oven for 30 minutes or until the flesh of the tomatoes is softened and the skins are starting to char and blister.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat remaining olive oil over medium. Add the onion and sauté for 10 minutes or until softened and starting to brown. Stir in the potatoes and cook stirring regularly for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and sauté for a further two minutes.
- Pour in the stock, stir to combine then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potato is fork tender.
- Add the roasted tomato, capsicum and garlic into the pan along with the basil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced. Using a hand blender, blitz the mixture to a smooth consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with toast or grilled cheese on the side.