Kipflers are some of the best potatoes in my opinion, they’re starchy with a yellow centre that is almost buttery and they’re slender shape makes them suited for baking whole to achieve crispy skin. All you need to do to them is wash them thoroughly, boil them, toss them in spices and roast them. This dish looks elegant on the plate and is a great side for a roast dinner or any protein-heavy meal.
Kipflers can sometimes be in short supply and if that’s the case a good substitute would be chat potatoes or sebagos, just keep the skin on and remember that they might need a slightly longer boiling time due to their rounder shape.
Crispy Twice-cooked Kipfler Potatoes
- 500 g kipfler potatoes washed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Once the potatoes are washed, place them into a large pot and cover with cold water. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. While simmering, preheat oven to 210°c.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly. Transfer to a bowl along with thyme, spices, salt, pepper and oil then toss well to coat.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and place into the oven to roast for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.