Everyone has a guac recipe but I’ve called this one the ultimate guac recipe for a reason. It brings together traditional methods with a few non-traditional additions. The addition of sumac is vital, it brings a tang that compliments the lime as well as adding a textural element. The recipe also uses a combination of black and pink peppercorns, the pink peppercorns bring a fruity flavour as well as subtle heat.
The recipe calls for a molcajete, a traditional Mexican-style mortar and pestle made of stone. When using the molcajete, the ingredients are cut into a large dice and then ground to release their flavour. If you don’t have a molcajete, then dice your onion and tomato more thinly and use the alternative method of crushing the avocado with a fork.
The Ultimate Guacomole
- 4 large ripe avocados peeled and pits removed
- 1 small Spanish onion roughly diced
- 1 to mato roughly diced
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves plus extra to top
- 1 ½ teaspoons pink peppercorns ground
- juice of 1 lime
- zest of ½ a lime
- salt and black pepper to season
- Place the diced onion and tomato in the bowl of a molcajete and crush.
- Add remaining ingredients and crush until the avocado forms a chunky paste.
- Stir until mixed well then season to taste.