This recipe brings a classic and very simple combination of flavours, fennel seeds, rosemary and orange peel to form a delicious crust on pan-fried salmon to create an elegant salad. The salmon is served alongside a fresh salad of spinach, macadamia nuts and radish with a simple lemon vinaigrette. This dish is great for weeknight dinners and can be prepared in under 20 minutes.
Salmon Provenҫal with Spinach and Macadamia Salad
- 4 thick skin-off salmon fillets 180-200g each
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- zest of ½ an orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup toasted macadamias roughly chopped
- 1 medium lebanese cucumber diagonally sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- fresh chives thinly sliced to serve
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C. in a mortar and pestle, grind fennel seeds to a course powder, then add the rosemary and orange zest and lightly crush, season with salt and pepper.
- Generously apply fennel mixture to topside of salmon fillets. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon, skin side down and sear for 2 minutes then flip and sear for a further 1 minute.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake roast for 4 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
- While salmon is resting, arrange spinach, cucumber and radish on serving plates. Top with salmon then sprinkle over chives and macadamias. In a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice and dill then whisk until the mixture turns a pale yellow. Drizzle over salads and serve.