Homemade baked beans are a wonderful experience all round from the smell while they cook in the oven to the richness of the flavours. The best baked beans balance rich tomato flavours with sweetness and smokiness.
Baked beans are traditionally made with navy beans. But these can be hard to find and honestly slightly bland so feel free to mix things up and substitute other dried beans.
Vegan Homemade Baked Beans
Homemade baked beans in a rich slightly smokey sauce.
- 400 g dried navy beans soaked overnight
- 1 medium brown onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsps cayenne pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat olive oil over medium in a large heavy based saucepan or dutch oven. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, spices and bay leaves then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then cover and transfer to the oven to bake for 1 ½ hours. Remove from the oven and season to taste. Serve over thick cut toast.
One thought on “Vegan Homemade Baked Beans”