As we’re coming up on the holiday seas its time to start planning vegan options. This gravy is quick and easy, not requiring too many ingredients. Its also something that you could make ahead and keep refrigerated for 2-3 days to reduce the amount of cooking you have to do on the day. You could strain the gravy before serving to remove the mushrooms and shallots so that its smooth but I prefer to leave them in for a little bit of texture and a home-made feeling.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 150 g swiss brown mushrooms sliced
- 2 dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 L vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots and sauté for 10 minutes or until softened and browned.
- Add the thyme and sauté for a further minute.
- Add the flour and cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Whisk in the stock in a steady stream until it reaches a smooth consistency. add the porcini mushrooms and simmer for 3 minutes to thicken and then stir in the salt and pepper.
One thought on “Vegan Mushroom Gravy”
Great post 😊