We’re firmly into that season where pumpkins are everywhere which is what prompted me to start working on this recipe. Blending together roasted butternut pumpkin with sour cream and nutmeg to make a sauce that is indulgent especially when paired with gnocchi. The richness of the sauce makes it so it really needs the fresh parsley to cut through it and stop it from being overwhelming. The sauce itself is good for making ahead, it can last about a week in the fridge but would also freeze well if required.
Gnocchi with Creamy Butternut Pumpkin Sauce
- 1 large butternut pumpkin peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup thickened cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley leaves chopped
- 500 g packaged gnocchi
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan to serve
- Cook gnocchi according to packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. place pumpkin pieces onto a line baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season lightly with salt and roast for 20 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium. Sauté the onions for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and nutmeg then sauté a further two minutes.
- Pour in the cream, sour cream and stock stirring to combine then carefully add in the roasted pumpkin. Crush the pumpkin with the back of a spoon then simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly then blend in batches until smooth. Return to the pan along with the cooked gnocchi and parsley then toss to coat. Serve topped with grated parmesan.