To start off with, I am a firm believer that sweet and sour is the best sauce with nuggets and anyone who disagrees can @ me on twitter so we can argue about it.
Tofu nuggets are a classic recipe for beginner vegans and those who are first cooking with tofu. Its an easy way to experiment with an ingredient that a lot of people find intimidating. In order to get the best tofu with the crispiest texture, its important to press it before frying. You could buy a tofu press for this or alternatively, wrap it in a tea towel and place it between two baking sheets then weigh the top one down with something heavy.
Vegan Tofu Nuggets with Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 450 g block pressed extra firm tofu
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- ¼ cup buffalo hot sauce
- oil for frying
sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup plum sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- Cut the tofu into a large dice, about 2 by 2cm.
- Combine the almond milk, melted butter and hot sauce in a bowl and mix. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, pepper and spices
- Heat oil to 180°C in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Coat the tofu pieces, a few at a time, in the flour mix then in the milk mixture then again in the flour. Fry for in batches for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer onto paper towel to drain before serving.
- To make the sauce, heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium while whisking until it reaches an even consistency. Simmer stirring occasionally for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from pan and allow to cool before serving.