Risotto is one of those dishes that is deceptively easy to make. This is a classic creamy risotto with plenty of body from the mushrooms and white wine. Adding a touch of almond milk softens the flavour and gives it just a touch of creaminess. The main issue you’ll encounter is getting the rice perfectly cooked. What you need to be looking for is when the whole of each grain becomes translucent. Never be afraid to taste the rice to make sure its cooked though.
Unfortunately, this recipe really isn’t good for leftovers with the rice becoming overcooked when reheated.
Vegan Mushroom & Leek Risotto
- 1 medium shallot finely diced
- 200 g shitake mushrooms
- ½ leek thinly sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup arborio rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms for 10 minutes or until softened and browned. Add the leeks and saute a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the white wine and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock then bring to a simmer. cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice just approaching fully cooked.
- Add the butter and almond milk then stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat, season to taste and serve.