A classic southern style food, good for an appetiser or as a side. The okra has a satisfying crunch and mild flavour. This is really easy and quick to prepare, simply slice the okra, mix the dredge ingredients and fry. These are best served hot alongside a spicy mayo for dipping.
Vegan Fried Okra
- oil for frying
- 4 tablespoons polenta
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ancho chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½-2 cups okra thickly sliced
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar and almond milk and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, spices salt and pepper.
- Preheat oil to 175°C in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Coat the okra in small batches first in the milk mixture then in the flour mix. Fry until golden brown. Remove from pan and transfer to paper to drain, allow to cool slightly before serving.