Stuffed peppers are a classic dish, very easy to make and with minimal fuss. The filling is quinoa and black beans with southern style spices. Best served hot and topped with vegan sour cream. These are great served as a side dish or as the main meal.
Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers are a classic dish, very easy to make and with minimal fuss. The filling is quinoa and black beans with southern style spices.
- 4 capsicums assorted colours
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 200 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 400 g tin black beans drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra to brush
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives to serve
- vegan sour cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Slice the capsicums in half then scoop out the seeds and membrane inside. Lightly brush the inside with a little olive oil and season lightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
- While the capsicums bake, bring 2 cups of lightly salted water to the boil on medium heat. Add the quinoa then cover and simmer liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms then cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and spices then sauté until fragrant (approximately 2 minutes)
- Add the stock quinoa and beans then bring to a simmer. simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half and becomes thickened.
- Divide the filling among the baked capsicums and lightly pack.
- Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes. Serve topped with vegan sour cream and chives.