Blood oranges are still barely in season here in Australia which is what inspired me to make this dish. This is a neat and elegant little salad perfect for entertaining but it also packs a punch with lots of bold flavours. This is meant as a side dish so the servings are small, it would pair best with seafood or chicken.
Blood Orange Fennel & Radicchio Salad
This is a neat and elegant little salad perfect for entertaining but it also packs a punch with lots of bold flavours.
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced leaves reserved for garnish
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- ½ a head radicchio thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup walnuts roughly chopped
Blood orange vinaigrette
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- To start, peel the oranges making sure to remove all of the pith then segment them carefully over a bowl to catch the juice. Once all of the segments are removed squeeze the pulp over the bowl to collect as much juice as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine two tablespoons of the reserved juice with the ingredients for the vinaigrette and mix thoroughly. Toss the radicchio and fennel in the vinaigrette and let sit for 30 minutes. Soaking these ingredients in the dressing helps to offset the strong flavours.
- To construct, start by placing radicchio and fennel onto the serving dish then scatter over onion, radishes, walnuts and orange segments. Serve immediately.