Everyone loves some vegan junk food on occasion and this recipe is a great treat. These sausage rolls have plenty of flavour, packed full of mushrooms and lentils. Store-bought puff pastry is often but not always vegan so make sure you check the label or you can always make your own.
Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 2 sheets store-bought puff pastry thawed
- 500 g mushrooms
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 400 g can green lentils
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- almond milk to brush
- pepitas to top
- Place the mushrooms and garlic into a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add the onion and cook stirring for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the mushroom and garlic mix then fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, lentils, mustard and stock then cook simmer for 10 minutes. Stir int the panko then allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 210°Cut the pastry sheets in half. Divide the mushroom and lentil mixture among the 4 rectangles of pastry and lay along one edge lengthwise. Roll the pastry over to cover then slice into 4 even pieces.
- Brush with almond milk and sprinkle over pepitas then transfer to a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Allow to cool slightly before serving.