A pretty simple recipe all things considered, battered and fried banana blossoms, pan fried potatoes and a quick tartar sauce. I will admit to playing it a little loose on the definition of chips, I prefer these pan fried potatoes they have a great rosemary flavour and feel more homey than chips.
Banana blossoms can be found in cans often at health food stores. Depending on the brand, they may come in big or small pieces for us it’s the bigger the better since we’re trying to replicate fish fillets. I used the Nature’s Charm brand and I find them to be very good, the tins I used had three nice long pieces each and the brine wasn’t overpowering.
Vegan “fish” & Chips
A pretty simple recipe all things considered, battered and fried banana blossoms, pan fried potatoes and a quick tartar sauce.
fried banana blossoms
- 2 260 g tins banana blossoms in brines
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sparkling water
- oil for frying
- 500 g chat potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegenaise
- 4 dill pickles finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill finely chopped
- Simply combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high. Place the potatoes into the pan in a roughly even layer, sprinkle over the rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry untouched for 6 minutes then flip and fry for a further 6 minutes.
- Once potatoes are a nice golden brown, add the garlic powder and cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and serve.
Fried Banana Blossoms
- Drain the banana blossoms and thoroughly rinse then pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup flour, the fresh dill and ½ teaspoon salt and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining and salt with the turmeric, lemon juice and sparkling water and whisk until an even consistency.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan to 160°start by dusting the blossoms in the flour, then dipped them into the batter one at a time and coat thoroughly. Fry for 6 minutes each, making sure you flip them halfway. Place onto some paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve immediately.