A rich and warming soup with just a hint of spice perfect for winter days. There are plenty of vegetables packed in for loads of flavour and nutrients.
Vegan creamy cauliflower and carrot soup
- ½ cup cashews soaked overnight
- ½ cup shelled pistachios to garnish
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds to garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped into a rough dice
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook stirring regularly for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook continuing to stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the stock and deglaze the pan. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the cashews to the mixture and transfer to a blender (you will probably need to blend in two or three batches). Blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and mix thoroughly, season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with pistachios and sunflower seeds.