I’m aware that there are several other vegan versions of the classic sandwich on the web but I’m taking it on myself to try and create one which goes above and beyond the original. I won’t be making my own buns, bread making is one of many things I’m not good at, so there are only three components to play with. Firstly, for the chicken it’s a classic seitan patty fried with a rich batter that includes pickle juice for that extra zing. Secondly, the pickles you’re more than welcome to pick up some good quality pickles for yourself but I’ve included here a recipe for some really tasty pickles pickled in beer and white wine vinegar. Finally, honey mustard sauce, our vegan version will be using maple syrup instead of honey but to bring it to the next level I’m adding some reduced white wine to give it a depth of flavour. And don’t forget the pickles always go on the bottom.
Vegan Chick-Fil-A “Chicken” Sandwich
- 4 hamburger buns
- 330 ml bottle IPA something hoppy
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and halved
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 500 g pickling cucumbers thinly sliced
“honey” mustard sauce
- 2 cups dry white wine
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Seitan “chicken” patties
- 1 cup gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 750 mL vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- for frying
- 750 mL unsweetened almond milk
- 250 mL pickle juice
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- peanut oil for frying
- Slice the cucumbers then place into a small bowl and massage the salt into the flesh. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to draw out the moisture, this is what gives pickles their crunch.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar vinegar, beer and water and heat on medium while stirring until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool completely.
- In an airtight jar, arrange salted cucumbers, mustard seeds, garlic, dill and pepper. Pour over the cooled vinegar mixture, seal and put away in the fridge for a week to pickle.
Honey mustard sauce
- Pour the wine into a skillet and place over medium heat. Cook untouched until the wine reduces to ½ a cup then set aside to cool.
- Once cooled combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Fried chicken patties
- Preheat oven to 180°combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the tahini and 1 ¾ cups of stock then mix to an even consistency.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to form a dough. You may need to add additional stock if the dough appears dry.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently until the dough becomes elastic and springy.
- Divide into 4 even pieces and shape into patties. Transfer to a casserole dish and cover with remaining stock. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the almond milk and pickle juice, then in a separate bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and dried spices.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven to 180°bread the patties by first coating in flour mixture, then almond milk then a second coating of flour. Fry for 6 minutes in the hot oil, flipping halfway. Remove from oil and drain onto paper towel. Construct burgers and serve immediately.
One thought on “Vegan Chick-Fil-A “Chicken” Sandwich”
Great post 😄