a quick and easy recipe, the chickpeas are crispy and well flavoured. These are versatile, they’re a great high protein snack but are also good as a side or for adding crunch to salads or soups. Chickpeas are very much a clean slate so there’s plenty of opportunity to play around with different seasoning ideas.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Sweet and Spicy BBQ Seasoning
- 1 400 g can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Thoroughly drain the chickpeas then rinse under cold water.
- Massage the chickpeas to remove any loose skins. Lay the chickpeas out in an even layer between two clean tea towels and allow to sit for an hour to dry.
- Preheat oven to 190°C and line a baking tray. In a bowl, toss the chickpeas in the olive oil and salt.
- Spread in an even layer on the prepared tray and bake for 50 minutes.
- Combine the spices and sugar in a bowl. Remove chickpeas from the oven and mix through the spices while still hot. Allow to cool before eating.