A quick and light salad recipe that’s excellent as a side dish for entertaining. charring the corn gives it a slight bitterness which offsets the natural sweetness. This recipe is vegan friendly.
Crunchy Asian Slaw with Charred Corn
A quick and easy light salad option, great as a side dish for bbqs. Charring the corn is an important step, it imparts a slight bitterness to offset the natural sweetness of the corn.
- 3 carrots
- ¼ red cabbage
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 ears corn husked
- ¼ cup lightly packed mint leaves roughly torn
- 5 radishes
- ¼ cup peanuts roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Using a food processor, julienne the cabbage, radish and carrots. Thinly slice the celery.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on medium. Add the peanuts and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, remove from heat.
- To char the corn, you’ll need an open flame, you could use a barbecue, a gas stove or a blowtorch. Hold the corn over the flame and turn regularly to char on all sides. Remove from heat and allow to cool then use a knife to strip the kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl, combine mint, peanuts and vegetables then toss to mix. In a separate bowl mix together the tamari, lime juice and remaining sesame oil then drizzle generously over slaw. Serve topped with sesame seeds.