A classic stew recipe made vegan. Hearty flavours with rich mushroom, eggplant and red wine. Can be made ahead and stored for up to 4-5 days.
Vegan Eggplant & Mushroom Bourguignon
A classic stew recipe made vegan. Hearty flavours with rich mushroom and eggplant as well as red wine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 g Swiss brown mushrooms
- ½ cup slice dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme stems removed
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups dry red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, steep the porcini mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water. Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium. Sauté the carrots and onion for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the celery, thyme and garlic and sauté for a further 5 minutes. Add the wine and bay leaves then bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the stock and both types of mushrooms. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and simmer for a further 30 minutes, adding a little water if the sauce gets too thick. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.