A classic, creamy side dish made vegan. The coconut flavour can be overpowering especially in savoury dishes, the lemon peel is a great way to cut through that and gives a wonderful aroma while baking.
Vegan Potato Gratin
A classic decadent and creamy side dish made vegan.
- 1.5-2 kg potatoes preferably Dutch cream or russet
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 4 shallots diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme stems removed
- 400 mL can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly under warm water then slice as thinly as possible. Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté for 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté a further two minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the remaining olive oil on medium. Add the flour and stir to combine. Add the coconut milk and almond milk a little at a time, stirring in between to combine. Bring to a boil then add lemon zest, salt and nutritional yeast. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the milk mixture and stir through then season with black pepper to taste.
- In a baking tray or casserole dish, layer half the potatoes then pour over half the sauce. Then repeat with remaining sauce and potato. Bake in prepared oven for 35 minutes. Serve immediately.