Preparing them in individual jars turns this classic favourite into a dainty dessert. This recipe is very traditional to the classic homemade style with condensed milk, eggs and plenty of fresh lime.
Key Lime Pie in a Jar
- 4 250 mL oven-safe jars
- 150 g digestive biscuits
- 75 g unsalted butter melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- juice of 4 limes roughly ½ a cup
- zest of 1 lime
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh blueberries to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- In a food processor, blitz the biscuits to a fine crumb. Pour in the melted butter and mix to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among jars.
- Place the jars onto a lined oven tray and bake for 15 minutes then allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and condensed milk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the lime juice and zest, reserving a little zest to decorate. Divide the lime mixture among the 4 jars and return to the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes then allow to cool.
- Immediately before serving, in a bowl whisk together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks. Spoon whipped cream over cooled lime mixture then top with blueberries and the reserved lime zest.