A healthy vegan pasta with stewed lentils and plenty of fresh vegetables. The sauce can be used in all sorts of dishes such as lasagne or moussaka. The recipe recommends serving over pasta but it goes equally well with mashed potato.
Vegan Mushroom and Lentil Ragu
- 400 g tin green lentils drained
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 200 g Swiss brown mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 400 g tins diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable stock
- 100 g walnuts finely chopped
- 200 g dried rigatoni or pappardelle
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to packet directions.
- Heat olive oil to medium in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven. Sautee the onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and mushroom then reduce heat to low and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms, oregano, chilli flakes and paprika then fry for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Turn up heat to medium, add wine, bay leaves and tomato paste then bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for half an hour. Stir in the walnuts and vegetable stock then simmer for a further 15 minutes uncovered, season with salt and pepper. Toss the pasta through the sauce and serve.