I was looking for a way to use up the leftover rhubarb after making my overnight oats when I had this idea. The tartness of the rhubarb is excellent to offset the sweet strawberries.
The method of baking the crumble mix separately from the filling probably isn’t the way you’re used to but it stops the crumble mixture becoming soggy.
Vegan Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble
For strawberry rhubarb filling
- 500 g strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 bunch rhubarb trimmed and finely chopped
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For crumble topping
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
To make filling
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan on medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, the rhubarb should be starting to soften and pink in colour.
- Place into oven proof dish and bake for 20 minutes.
To make crumble
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and use your hands to mix and rub through the butter to form the crumble. Once well combined, spread out in a thin layer on a lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Once removed allow to cool just enough to handle then crumble over the baked strawberry and rhubarb mixture. Serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream.