A fairly traditional baked mac and cheese recipe, this one incorporates three cheeses cheddar, gouda and parmesan. if you want to try something a little different, substitute the gouda for brie. If you aren’t able to get speck then substitute pancetta or streaky bacon.
Baked Mac and Cheese with smoked speck
- 300 g dried macaroni
- 75 g butter
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 spring onions trimmed and thinly sliced
- 150 gsmoked speck diced
- 150 g cheddar grated
- 1050 g gouda grated
- 40 g finely grated parmesan
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook macaroni to packet directions. Preheat oven to 180°c for fan forced or 200°C for conventional.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat sauté the speck for 8 minutes or until starting to become crispy. Add the spring onion and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and allow to melt and begin foaming. Add the flour, onion powder and garlic powder then cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the mustard then gradually add the milk while stirring vigorously to combine.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minute or until slightly thickened. Add the cheddar and gouda and stir until melted. Remove from heat and toss the macaroni through the sauce. Transfer to an oven proof dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the crumb over the top of the macaroni mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.