Espresso jelly with pistachio and hazelnut cream
A classic dessert, the hazelnut cream cuts through the bitterness of the coffee. Gelatine leaves are used instead of powder in this recipe because they are flavourless so they won’t interfere with the simple flavours of the dish.
- 8 leaves gelatine
- 3 shots of espresso
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
Pistachio and hazelnut cream
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 3 tablespoons Frangelico
- 150 g shelled pistachios
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Chocolate biscuits such as Tim Tams to serve
- Soak gelatine leaves separately in bowls of cold water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine espresso and sugar with 750ml of hot water in a bowl.
- Remove gelatine leaves from water and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Add gelatine to coffee mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Divide mixture evenly among serving glasses, cover and put in the fridge to set for at least 6 hours.
- Immediately before serving, chop the pistachios finely. Whip the cream along with the caster sugar until soft peaks begin to form.
- Fold Frangelico and most of the pistachios through the cream. Dollop cream on top of each jelly and sprinkle reserved pistachios over the top. Serve with chocolate biscuits.