An easy, warming soup recipe for winter months. Can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge or freezer for an easy lunch.
Creamy potato and leek soup with lentils
A luxurious, warming winter soup. This recipe is vegetarian and can be made vegan by substituting cream for cashew cream.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large or three medium red royale potatoes
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 leek trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400 g tin lentils drained
- ½ cup thickened cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes, finely chop chives, trim and slice fennel and thinly slice leek.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy-based pot. Once shimmering, add fennel, leek and fennel seeds. Turn heat to medium and cook stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and potatoes and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in three batches until smooth.
- Return to the pan, add lentils, cream and ¾ of the chives. Season generously with salt and pepper then simmer until heated through (approximately 5 minutes).
- Serve topped with reserved chives and accompanied by crusty bread.