Chicken Liver Pâté with caramelised onion
- 250 g chicken liver
- 175 g butter
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
for Caramelised onion
- 2 Spanish onions
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Crackers or toasted sourdough to serve
- Crush garlic, peel and dice onion.
- Melt 125g of the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until starting to soften.
- Add liver and herbs and cook for 8 minutes stirring regularly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the herbs and blend the mixture until smooth (it should be fairly liquid at this stagand season with white pepper and salt to taste. Pour the mixture into serving dishes and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Melt remaining butter and pour over the Pâté (this acts as a seal to prevent oxidising). Place into the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- Serve topped with caramelised onion and accompanied with crackers or toasted sourdough.
For Caramelised Onion
- Thinly slice the onion and heat the oil in a pan over low heat.
- Add onions to the pan and cook for 20 minutes, stir regularly and ensure onions do not catch (you may have to remove the pan from the heat if onions start to burn).
- Add the vinegar and onions then cook for a further 6 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge up to 2 days.